Thursday, August 15, 2013

On Death and Living

I've always been afraid of death, since I was a kid.  As I have gotten older, and then "old," I have recently tried to adapt in the least painful way possible to the fact that, hey, we all gotta go.  Albert Ellis, who had to go as well, would have been proud that I am thinking rationally about the fact that people die, and life goes on, and it's okay.  I especially like the way Richard Dawkins copes -- you weren't here before you were born and it was fine not to exist; when you die and no longer exist it will be the same thing.  And here is Dr. Dawkins, saying it far better himself:

“We are going to die, and that makes us the lucky ones. Most people are never going to die because they are never going to be born. The potential people who could have been here in my place but who will in fact never see the light of day outnumber the sand grains of Arabia. Certainly those unborn ghosts include greater poets than Keats, scientists greater than Newton. We know this because the set of possible people allowed by our DNA so massively exceeds the set of actual people. In the teeth of these stupefying odds it is you and I, in our ordinariness, that are here.We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?” 
― Richard DawkinsUnweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder

Since my husband was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in April, there has been a new urgency to my need to accept the fact of dying.  In the wonderful movie Cloudburst, Olympia Dukakis' character says, "I'm 80, nothing lasts forever."  And according to Walter Isaacson, in Albert Einstein's last days at age 76, he consoled others, at one point saying, "I have to pass on sometime, and it doesn't really matter when."  He wrote formulas and bemoaned his lack of adequate mathematics to his last day.

I tackled with some dread Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, and have basically come away from it thinking, "Well, all right then."  A bit impatient with her that she was so blind to the fact that her husband would die, where I have lived knowing loved ones would die and leave me, and that I would die and leave others, who would inevitably get along fine without me.  And yet, who am I who have not had to deal with the death of a loved one since my mother's death just thirty years ago to offer a critique her experience?

So where does this leave me?  It is a process, and one we go through like it or not.  As I write that I am aware of its triteness, and yet the fact that it is 100 percent true.

For right now, each of these has helped place me in the context of the world in which we all die.  I am trying to allow myself to feel sadness at the inevitable ending, and also to appreciate each day that I and my loved ones are here.


No comments:

Post a Comment