Thursday, June 7, 2012

And So It Goes...

As it turned out, I was not meant to stay at the library.  Shortly after I got home from my Belleair Beach vacation, I penned a Letter to the Editor of Charleston's Post & Courier which certainly ended up stirring the pot.  I was not fired, but a week after the letter came out, I decided leaving was the right thing to do.


I came to that realization on my day off, mowing the lawn.  Much as I hate mowing the lawn these days, it seems to have the effect of helping me reach important decisions.  Way back in my past life as a psychologist, I was feeling much the same about the devastation managed care had wreaked on my no longer private practice.  While mowing my Long Island lawn, I reached the decision to drop all managed care companies (I believe I had two) from my practice.  It was certainly a life-changing move, forcing my practice to shrink further, and eventually leading me to start anew here in South Carolina.


But, just as with my decision to leave the library, it was the right one.  I may worry about my financial well-being, but my heart is lighter now.  Not only can I continue to be vocal about the changes that are being inflicted at the library without fear of reprisal, but I no longer have to daily bear witness to the destruction of books.


Retirement will be another whole chapter, and I'm trying to take it as it comes.  After all, when I retired as a psychologist all those years ago, who knew that I would find years of pleasure (if not wealth) working at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment