Friday, August 10, 2012

How I Spent My Summer Vacation--Home to New England

July 14-15 -- Still Traveling


Headed for the Quiet Car, which is the very best idea Amtrak ever had.  It only happens at night, and there are times, like this night, wherein by the second stop there is enough room for the young woman with the laptop next to you to scoot out of her seat and claim a double, conveniently leaving you with a double as well.

I have lots of travel rituals.  For example, my first night at a hotel, whether I am there for one night or nine, I order in pizza and somehow or other get a beer.  Then, before bed, a shot of a decent gin, these days it's usually Bombay Sapphire, and some chocolate.  I always take a small bag of kisses, or M & M's.  Then I'm ready for bed.

Packing for train travel means traveling as light as possible, so I freeze two bottles of water, which keep the subs and the chocolate cold and provide drink over the 24-hours.  Not possible to pack a bottle of gin, plus which I'd prefer not to draw stares from fellow passengers, so a third water bottle gets a couple of inches of gin.

Once I settle into my seat in the Quiet Car, I take out my gin and chocolate, have my nightcap, and then settle down.

Settling down is a bit of an exaggeration.  No matter how comfy you thought the seats were when you were sitting, trying to extend yourself while contracting yourself within the short space is a challenge.  However, I once was the person who did not nap.  I did not sleep while traveling no matter how long the trip.

I'm older now.  I may have to readjust fairly often, but I do get my sleep.  I once had anxiety over all the trips I would need to take to the restrooms, but not so much anymore.  Sleeping on the train is infinitely better than driving those night-time hours, so I've learned to do it.

And by the time sunrise rolls around, 5:30ish, I crack my eyes open and get to see the most beautiful part of the trip:  the waters of Mystic Seaport.

Stock Photo -- too early for camera-wrangling


Now I'm content because I'm almost there.  First stop is Boston, scheduled at 8 a.m.  So I take out my eReader.  I remember my daily Diovan, so I take out a pill and my bottle of water.  I'm surprised I have that much left.  Swallow the pill with a mouthful of...

...Bombay Sapphire.

Well.  Quite a shock, but hey, it's summer vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment