Friday, September 16, 2011

Black Cats and Snakes

I have begun to do my Halloween reading, and the night before had just begun a pretty creepy novel by Graham Masterton.  I was getting ready for work, showered and drying off when, from across my bedroom, I heard a loud and prolonged rattle.  Molly, my newly adopted cat, appeared from another part of the room, and took off out of the bedroom.  The rattle sounded again.


You know how, during horror movies, when a character just knows the monster is in the house, and proceeds to look for it, while we all yell, "Don't do it, asshole!"?  Well, there I was, blind without glasses and barely sighted these days with them, semi-wrapped in bath towel, looking in the direction of the loud rattle, and wondering how I am going to get to my clothes, because I have to get dressed.


Of course, I didn't think there was a monster in the house. However, the only logical thing I could imagine was that a snake had gotten into the house.  A big snake.


Meanwhile, another long rattle.  So of course I took a step towards it.


Molly watched from the other side of the room.  Then she backed off, and, in the opposite direction came the rattle.  And I barely saw a length of string, originating in my sewing basket, and tangled no doubt in the long, bushy tail of my new housemate. Which rattled against the sewing basket whenever Molly moved.


All I can say is, I'm really glad I hadn't seen this segment of The Rachel Maddow Show before this happened:





Fast forward past John Boehner; he's way too scary even to contemplate.  And check out the snakes.


And there you have some Halloween greetings from Molly, my black cat, and me

No comments:

Post a Comment