Sunday, August 7, 2011

What Could Be Worse?

Actually, quite a lot of things could be worse.  My shoulder is injured but it's not a terminal illness.  My kids don't like me, but they aren't, either one of them, in prison.  I only owe $40,000 on my house, and that's just about what I have left in my life savings.


My son is home for a couple of weeks; we had minimal but pleasant conversation in the car, and he didn't start sniping at me until the third or fourth time I asked him to take a look at the lawnmower.  A few minutes ago, my Harvard physics major snarled that he's sorry but he's not a lawnmower expert.  And I should stop yelling at him.


But he does want me to tell him what it means that I have car trouble, in re: getting him to the bus station, in the nether parts of the county, so he can visit his friends.  Well, son, I am not a car expert, so I'll have to get back to you on that.  Meanwhile, let's just leave it that I am responsible for ruining your social life.


My mother wished it on me, you know.  When I was a teenager, she said someday I would have kids that treated me the way I was treating her.  A wish I would never make towards my own children.


The face wants to smile, so I keep reminding myself of how much worse it could be.  But the face won't smile because I can't really convince myself, as things break around me and my savings are gouged monthly, that my life is actually good.


And let me end by apologizing for my misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment